More than 80% of Nagorno-Karabakh’s population flees as future uncertain for those who remain/فرار أكثر من 80% من سكان ناجورنو كاراباخ وعدم يقين بشأن المستقبل بالنسبة لأولئك الذين بقوا

20

فرار أكثر من 80% من سكان ناجورنو كاراباخ وعدم يقين بشأن المستقبل بالنسبة لأولئك الذين بقوا
يريفان، أرمينيا (أ ف ب)/ 01 تشرين الأول/2023

More than 80% of Nagorno-Karabakh’s population flees as future uncertain for those who remain
YEREVAN, Armenia (AP)/October 01, 2023
The exodus of more than 80% of the population of Nagorno-Karabakh raises questions about Azerbaijan’s plans for the ethnic Armenian enclave following its lightning offensive last week to reclaim the breakaway region. The Armenian government said Friday evening that more than 97,700 people, from a population of around 120,000, had fled to Armenia since Azerbaijan attacked and ordered the region’s militants to disarm. The enclave’s separatist government said it would dissolve itself by the end of the year after a three-decade bid for independence. Some people lined up for days to escape Nagorno-Karabakh because the only route to Armenia — a winding mountain road — became jammed with slow-moving vehicles.
Armenian Health Minister Anahit Avanesyan said some people, including the elderly, had died while on the road to Armenia, because they were “exhausted due to malnutrition, left without even taking medicine with them, and were on the road for more than 40 hours.”
On Thursday, Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan alleged that the exodus of ethnic Armenians from Nagorno-Karabakh amounted to “a direct act of an ethnic cleansing and depriving people of their motherland.” Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry strongly rejected Pashinyan’s accusations, saying the departure of Armenians was “their personal and individual decision and has nothing to do with forced relocation.”
Laurence Broers, an expert on the Caucasus with the London-based think tank Chatham House, said it was unlikely that significant numbers of Armenians would remain in Nagorno-Karabakh and that “the territory will become homogenous.”
“If you define ethnic cleansing as actions by force or through intimidation to induce a population to leave, that’s very much what the last year or so has looked like,” he said.
During the three decades of conflict in the region, Azerbaijan and separatists inside Nagorno-Karabakh, alongside allies in Armenia, have accused each other of targeted attacks, massacres and other atrocities, leaving people on both sides deeply suspicious and fearful.
While Azerbaijan has pledged to respect the rights of ethnic Armenians in the region, most are now fleeing, because they don’t believe that Azerbaijani authorities will treat them fairly and humanely or guarantee them their language, religion and culture.
In December, Azerbaijan blocked the only road connecting Nagorno-Karabakh with Armenia, accusing the Armenian government or using it for illicit weapons shipments to the region’s separatist forces.
Armenia alleged the closure denied basic food and fuel supplies to Nagorno-Karabakh. Azerbaijan rejected the accusation, arguing that the region could receive supplies through the Azerbaijani city of Aghdam — a solution long resisted by Nagorno-Karabakh authorities, which called it a strategy for Azerbaijan to gain control of the region. In the 1990s, the Azerbaijani population was itself expelled from Nagorno-Karabakh and hundreds of thousands of people were displaced within Azerbaijan. As part of its “Great Return” program, the government in Baku has already relocated Azerbaijanis to territories recaptured from Nagorno-Karabakh forces in a 2020 war.
Analysts believe Azerbaijan could expand the program and resettle Nagorno-Karabakh with Azerbaijanis, while stating that ethnic Armenians could stay or exercise a right to return in order to “refute accusations that Karabakh Armenians have been ethnically cleansed,” Broers said.
A decree signed by the region’s separatist president, Samvel Shakhramanyan, cited a Sept. 20 agreement to end the fighting under which Azerbaijan would allow the “free, voluntary and unhindered movement” of Nagorno-Karabakh’s residents to Armenia.
Some of those who fled the regional capital, Stepanakert, said they had no hope for the future.
“I left Stepanakert having a slight hope that maybe something will change and I will come back soon, and these hopes are ruined after reading about the dissolution of our government,” 21-year-old student Ani Abaghyan told The Associated Press.
“I don’t want to live with the Azerbaijanis,” said Narine Karamyan, 50. “Maybe there are some people who will return to their homes. I don’t want that. I want to live as an Armenian.”
After six years of separatist fighting ended in 1994 following the collapse of the Soviet Union, Nagorno-Karabakh came under the control of ethnic Armenian forces, backed by Armenia. Then, during a six-week war in 2020, Azerbaijan took back parts of the region in the south Caucasus Mountains along with surrounding territory that Armenian forces had claimed earlier. Nagorno-Karabakh was internationally recognized as part of Azerbaijan’s sovereign territory.
Armine Ghazaryan, who crossed into Armenia from Nagorno-Karabakh with her four young children, told the AP that it was the second time she had been displaced from her home, saying she had previously sheltered with her children in her neighbors’ basement during the war in 2020.
“At least we live in peace here. At least we stay in Armenia,” she said upon arriving in the Armenian town of Goris. On Monday night, a fuel reservoir exploded at a gas station where people lined up for gas to fill up their vehicles to flee to Armenia. At least 68 people were killed and nearly 300 others were injured, with more than 100 others still considered missing after the blast, which exacerbated fuel shortages that were already dire after the blockade.
On Friday the State Emergency Service of Nagorno-Karabakh’s interior ministry said 170 remains and body fragments had been collected and would be sent to Armenia for DNA identification.
Avanesyan, the Armenian health minister, said 142 people who were injured after the fuel tank exploded were taken to Armenia for treatment and that some of them were in very serious condition.
On Thursday, Azerbaijani authorities charged Ruben Vardanyan, the former head of Nagorno-Karabakh’s separatist government, with financing terrorism, creating illegal armed formations and illegally crossing a state border. He was detained on Wednesday by Azerbaijani border guards as he was trying to leave Nagorno-Karabakh for Armenia along with tens of thousands of others. Vardanyan, a billionaire who made his fortune in Russia, was placed in pretrial detention for at least four months and faces up to 14 years in prison. His arrest appeared to indicate Azerbaijan’s intent to quickly enforce its grip on the region. Another top separatist figure, Nagorno-Karabakh’s former foreign minister and now presidential adviser David Babayan, said Thursday that he would surrender to Azerbaijani authorities who ordered him to face an investigation in Baku.

فرار أكثر من 80% من سكان ناجورنو كاراباخ وعدم يقين بشأن المستقبل بالنسبة لأولئك الذين بقوا
يريفان، أرمينيا (أ ف ب)/ 01 تشرين الأول/2023
يثير النزوح الجماعي لأكثر من 80% من سكان ناجورنو كاراباخ تساؤلات حول خطط أذربيجان للجيب العرقي الأرمني بعد هجومها الخاطف الأسبوع الماضي لاستعادة المنطقة الانفصالية.
وقالت الحكومة الأرمينية مساء الجمعة إن أكثر من 97700 شخص، من أصل حوالي 120 ألف نسمة، فروا إلى أرمينيا منذ هجوم أذربيجان وأمرت المسلحين في المنطقة بنزع سلاحهم. وقالت الحكومة الانفصالية في الجيب إنها ستحل نفسها بحلول نهاية العام بعد مسعى استمر ثلاثة عقود من أجل الاستقلال.
واصطف بعض الأشخاص لعدة أيام للهروب من ناغورنو كاراباخ لأن الطريق الوحيد المؤدي إلى أرمينيا – وهو طريق جبلي متعرج – أصبح مزدحمًا بالمركبات البطيئة الحركة.
وقالت وزيرة الصحة الأرمينية أناهيت أفانيسيان إن بعض الأشخاص، بما في ذلك كبار السن، لقوا حتفهم أثناء وجودهم على الطريق إلى أرمينيا، لأنهم كانوا “مرهقين بسبب سوء التغذية، وغادروا دون حتى تناول الدواء معهم، وظلوا على الطريق لأكثر من 40 ساعة”. ”
يوم الخميس، زعم رئيس الوزراء الأرميني نيكول باشينيان أن النزوح الجماعي للأرمن من ناغورنو كاراباخ يرقى إلى “عمل مباشر من أعمال التطهير العرقي وحرمان الناس من وطنهم الأم”. ورفضت وزارة الخارجية الأذربيجانية بشدة اتهامات باشينيان، قائلة إن رحيل الأرمن كان “قرارهم الشخصي والفردي ولا علاقة له بالترحيل القسري”.
وقال لورانس برويرز، الخبير في شؤون القوقاز في مركز الأبحاث تشاتام هاوس ومقره لندن، إنه من غير المرجح أن تبقى أعداد كبيرة من الأرمن في ناغورنو كاراباخ وأن “الإقليم سيصبح متجانسًا”.
وقال: “إذا قمت بتعريف التطهير العرقي على أنه أعمال تستخدم بالقوة أو من خلال الترهيب لحث السكان على الرحيل، فإن هذا هو ما بدا عليه العام الماضي أو نحو ذلك إلى حد كبير”.
خلال العقود الثلاثة من الصراع في المنطقة، اتهمت أذربيجان والانفصاليون داخل ناجورنو كاراباخ، إلى جانب الحلفاء في أرمينيا، بعضهم البعض بشن هجمات مستهدفة ومذابح وغيرها من الفظائع، مما ترك الناس على كلا الجانبين في حالة من الشك والخوف العميق.
وبينما تعهدت أذربيجان باحترام حقوق الأرمن العرقيين في المنطقة، فإن معظمهم يفرون الآن، لأنهم لا يعتقدون أن السلطات الأذربيجانية ستعاملهم بشكل عادل وإنساني أو ستضمن لهم لغتهم ودينهم وثقافتهم.
وفي ديسمبر/كانون الأول، أغلقت أذربيجان الطريق الوحيد الذي يربط ناجورنو كاراباخ بأرمينيا، واتهمت الحكومة الأرمينية أو استخدامه لشحنات الأسلحة غير المشروعة إلى القوات الانفصالية في المنطقة.
وزعمت أرمينيا أن الإغلاق حرم إمدادات الغذاء والوقود الأساسية لناجورنو كاراباخ. ورفضت أذربيجان هذا الاتهام، بحجة أن المنطقة يمكن أن تتلقى الإمدادات عبر مدينة أغدام الأذربيجانية – وهو الحل الذي عارضته سلطات ناغورنو كاراباخ منذ فترة طويلة، ووصفته بأنه استراتيجية لأذربيجان للسيطرة على المنطقة. وفي التسعينيات، تم طرد السكان الأذربيجانيين أنفسهم من ناغورنو كاراباخ، ونزح مئات الآلاف من الأشخاص داخل أذربيجان. وكجزء من برنامج “العودة الكبرى”، قامت الحكومة في باكو بالفعل بنقل الأذربيجانيين إلى الأراضي التي استعادتها من قوات ناغورنو كاراباخ في حرب عام 2020.
وقال برويرز إن المحللين يعتقدون أن أذربيجان يمكن أن توسع البرنامج وتعيد توطين ناغورنو كاراباخ مع الأذربيجانيين، في حين ذكروا أنه يمكن للأرمن العرقيين البقاء أو ممارسة حق العودة من أجل “دحض الاتهامات بأن أرمن كاراباخ تعرضوا للتطهير العرقي”.
وأشار مرسوم وقعه الرئيس الانفصالي للمنطقة، سامفيل شهرمانيان، إلى اتفاق 20 سبتمبر/أيلول لإنهاء القتال والذي بموجبه تسمح أذربيجان “بالحركة الحرة والطوعية ودون عوائق” لسكان ناجورنو كاراباخ إلى أرمينيا.
وقال بعض الذين فروا من العاصمة الإقليمية ستيباناكيرت، إنهم ليس لديهم أمل في المستقبل.
وقالت الطالبة آني أباغيان البالغة من العمر 21 عاماً لوكالة أسوشيتد برس: “لقد غادرت ستيباناكيرت وكان لدي أمل بسيط في أنه ربما يتغير شيء ما وسأعود قريباً، وقد تبددت هذه الآمال بعد أن قرأت عن حل حكومتنا”.
وقالت نارين كاراميان، 50 عاماً: “لا أريد أن أعيش مع الأذربيجانيين. ربما يعود بعض الأشخاص إلى ديارهم. لا أريد ذلك. أريد أن أعيش كأرمنية”.
وبعد ست سنوات من القتال الانفصالي الذي انتهى في عام 1994 في أعقاب انهيار الاتحاد السوفيتي، أصبحت ناجورنو كاراباخ تحت سيطرة القوات العرقية الأرمنية، المدعومة من أرمينيا. وبعد ذلك، خلال حرب استمرت ستة أسابيع في عام 2020، استعادت أذربيجان أجزاء من المنطقة في جبال جنوب القوقاز إلى جانب الأراضي المحيطة التي كانت القوات الأرمينية قد طالبت بها في وقت سابق. تم الاعتراف بناجورنو كاراباخ دوليًا كجزء من الأراضي ذات السيادة الأذربيجانية.
وقالت أرمين غازاريان، التي عبرت إلى أرمينيا من ناغورنو كاراباخ مع أطفالها الأربعة الصغار، لوكالة أسوشييتد برس إنها المرة الثانية التي نزحت فيها من منزلها، قائلة إنها كانت قد لجأت في السابق مع أطفالها إلى قبو جيرانها خلال الحرب. في عام 2020.
“على الأقل نحن نعيش في سلام هنا. وقالت لدى وصولها إلى مدينة غوريس الأرمنية: “على الأقل سنبقى في أرمينيا”.
ومساء الاثنين، انفجر خزان وقود في محطة وقود حيث اصطف الناس للحصول على الوقود لملء سياراتهم بالفرار إلى أرمينيا. قُتل ما لا يقل عن 68 شخصًا وأصيب ما يقرب من 300 آخرين، ولا يزال أكثر من 100 آخرين في عداد المفقودين بعد الانفجار، مما أدى إلى تفاقم نقص الوقود الذي كان خطيرًا بالفعل بعد الحصار.
وقالت خدمة الطوارئ الحكومية بوزارة الداخلية في ناجورنو كاراباخ يوم الجمعة إنه تم جمع 170 رفات وشظايا جثة وسيتم إرسالها إلى أرمينيا لتحديد الحمض النووي.
وقال أفانيسيان، وزير الصحة الأرميني، إن 142 شخصًا أصيبوا بعد انفجار خزان الوقود نُقلوا إلى أرمينيا لتلقي العلاج، وأن بعضهم في حالة خطيرة للغاية.
اتهمت السلطات الأذربيجانية، يوم الخميس، روبن فاردانيان، الرئيس السابق لحكومة ناغورنو كاراباخ الانفصالية، بتمويل الإرهاب وإنشاء تشكيلات مسلحة غير قانونية وعبور حدود الدولة بشكل غير قانوني. وقد اعتقله حرس الحدود الأذربيجاني يوم الأربعاء بينما كان يحاول مغادرة ناغورنو كاراباخ إلى أرمينيا مع عشرات الآلاف الآخرين. تم وضع فاردانيان، الملياردير الذي جمع ثروته في روسيا، في الحبس الاحتياطي لمدة أربعة أشهر على الأقل ويواجه عقوبة تصل إلى 14 عامًا في السجن. ويبدو أن اعتقاله يشير إلى نية أذربيجان فرض قبضتها على المنطقة بسرعة.
وقال شخصية انفصالية بارزة أخرى، وزير خارجية ناغورنو كاراباخ السابق والمستشار الرئاسي الحالي ديفيد بابايان، الخميس، إنه سيستسلم للسلطات الأذربيجانية التي أمرته بمواجهة تحقيق في باكو.