تظاهر الحكم اللبناني بنزع سلاح حزب الله لن يُجدي نفعًا حسين عبد الحسين/موقع هذه بيروت/01 نيسان/2025 (ترجمة من الإنكليزية بواسطة غوغل)
Pretending to Disarm Hezbollah Won’t Work Hussain Abdul-Hussain/This Is Beirut/April 01/2025
Lebanon is pretending to disarm Hezbollah and thinks that the world believes it. Then, when the world calls Beirut out, Lebanese officials engage in collective delusion and blame “Israeli aggression” for military escalation. Lebanon is now reneging on the ceasefire and the 1701 enforcement mechanism that it signed, in November, in which it pledged to disarm Hezbollah and, in return, get territory back from Israel. Lebanese officials, including President Joseph Aoun and Prime Minister Nawaf Salam, are now trafficking in two strings of disinformation.
First, when Aoun and Salam describe military escalation as “Israeli aggression,” they think the world and the Lebanese have forgotten that it was Hezbollah that started this war on Israel, unprompted, on October 8, 2023. Since then, every Israeli action has been considered retaliation in self-defense. Lebanon started this. Lebanon is the aggressor.
Second, Lebanon promised to disarm Hezbollah, after which it regained its territory. Since then, Beirut has shuffled the order of things and reneged on its promises. Now Lebanese officials say that violent attacks from Lebanon on Israel are the result of Israel’s continued existence on Lebanese territory and that Israel must withdraw and stop policing Hezbollah, then and only then, Lebanon will disarm the pro-Iran militia. Lebanon’s collective delusion dominates the nation’s corridors of power, often paced by the same cast of characters. Consider that the “advisors” of President Joseph Aoun are holdovers from the time of his predecessor Michel Aoun. Similarly, Salam and his top lieutenants – ministers Tarek Mitri, Ghassan Salameh, and Amer Bsat – have been politicking in Lebanon for over two decades. Nabih Berri has been Speaker of the House since 1992 and what is left of the Hezbollah leadership has been in place since the 1980s. Even the “Change” lawmakers are not newcomers to the political arena.
This incestuous closed circle of Lebanese politicians has made the Lebanese isolated from the global debate, regional trends, and – most important of all – reality. Lebanon’s decision-makers and their advisors now live in a world, where politics replaces policy and sophistry replaces action.
Along the lines of sophistry, both Aoun and Salam have yet to put the words Hezbollah and disarmament in one sentence. Both men have avoided uttering the word Hezbollah. Instead, they wax poetry about upholding Lebanese sovereignty and monopolizing the decision of war and peace.
But Hezbollah has contested even Aoun and Salam’s generic statements. Mohamad Raad, the chief of Hezbollah’s Parliamentary bloc, said that whoever claims a monopoly over the “decision of war and peace is not realistic or truthful.”
From time to time someone from Aoun or Salam’s team would say what either one of them thinks. Deputy Prime Minister Tarek Mitri blurted it out when he said that the cabinet promised to monopolize sovereignty, but did not specify when. That is, even if Salam ever uttered the words “disarming Hezbollah,” he never attached it to a timetable.
When Salam found himself cornered into answering a question about disarming Hezbollah, he told Al-Arabiya channel in an interview, that “the page of Hezbollah’s arms has been turned.” The Lebanese Prime Minister was pretending that Hezbollah had been disbanded. The next day, in response to his statement, Hezbollah fired six rockets at Israel, showing Salam who was boss. In the ceasefire agreement, the disarmament of Hezbollah was to be completed within 60 days of the signing on November 27. Today, disbanding the Hezbollah militia looks more distant than ever.
Meanwhile, Aoun has said, behind closed doors, that if the Lebanese Armed Forces (LAF) tried to disarm Hezbollah, there would be civil war. It seems that Aoun prefers war with Israel rather than one to wrestle sovereignty from Hezbollah’s hands.
Aoun and Salam are not serious about disarming Hezbollah. They have delivered speeches and put out statements that give the impression that they wanted to do so but, in reality, have not moved a finger. Hezbollah has remained armed and in charge of war and peace.
War between Hezbollah and Israel has elevated Lebanon to the top of the list of America’s priorities. After Speaker Berri and former Prime Minister Najib Mikati walked back Hezbollah chief Hassan Nasrallah’s promise not to untie his war from the one in Gaza, Washington took a change in the Lebanese position as repentance. Since then, Washington has done its best to give the Lebanese the chance to disarm Hezbollah and restore their state’s sovereignty. But if Aoun and Salam continue to politick instead of enforcing policy, Washington will lose interest and will let Israel continue doing what it was bent on doing: Incinerate Hezbollah. Lebanon will miss yet another opportunity to dig out of the Hezbollah hole. As the saying goes, Washington can drive the Lebanese horse to the river but cannot make it drink. Lebanon will have to drink on its own. It has to take on its demons and disarm Hezbollah. If Aoun and Salam are too scared of warring with the Iran-backed militia, they should prepare for the resumption of a scarier war with Israel, and long-term isolation, poverty, and living atop the rubble.
التظاهر بنزع سلاح حزب الله لن يُجدي نفعًا حسين عبد الحسين/موقع هذه بيروت/01 نيسان/2025 (ترجمة من الإنكليزية بواسطة غوغل)
يتظاهر لبنان بنزع سلاح حزب الله، ظانًا أن العالم يُصدّقه. ثم، عندما يُطالب العالم بيروت بالانسحاب، يُمارس المسؤولون اللبنانيون وهمًا جماعيًا ويُحمّلون “العدوان الإسرائيلي” مسؤولية التصعيد العسكري. يتراجع لبنان الآن عن وقف إطلاق النار وآلية تطبيق القرار ١٧٠١ التي وقّعها في نوفمبر، والتي تعهّد فيها بنزع سلاح حزب الله، وفي المقابل استعادة الأراضي من إسرائيل. يُروّج المسؤولون اللبنانيون، بمن فيهم الرئيس جوزيف عون ورئيس الوزراء نواف سلام، لسلسلتين من المعلومات المُضلّلة.
أولًا، عندما يصف عون وسلام التصعيد العسكري بـ”العدوان الإسرائيلي”، يظنّان أن العالم واللبنانيين قد نسوا أن حزب الله هو من بدأ هذه الحرب على إسرائيل، دون سابق إنذار، في ٨ أكتوبر ٢٠٢٣. ومنذ ذلك الحين، يُعتبر كل عمل إسرائيلي ردًّا دفاعيًا عن النفس. لبنان هو من بدأ هذا. لبنان هو المعتدي. ثانيًا، وعد لبنان بنزع سلاح حزب الله، وبعد ذلك استعاد أراضيه. منذ ذلك الحين، غيّرت بيروت ترتيب الأمور ونكثت بوعودها. والآن، يقول المسؤولون اللبنانيون إن الهجمات العنيفة من لبنان على إسرائيل هي نتيجة استمرار وجود إسرائيل على الأراضي اللبنانية، وإن على إسرائيل الانسحاب والتوقف عن مراقبة حزب الله، وعندها فقط، سينزع لبنان سلاح الميليشيا الموالية لإيران. يهيمن الوهم الجماعي اللبناني على أروقة السلطة في البلاد، وغالبًا ما تسير الأمور وفقًا لنفس الشخصيات. خذ في الاعتبار أن “مستشاري” الرئيس جوزيف عون هم من بقايا عهد سلفه ميشال عون. وبالمثل، فإن سلام وكبار مساعديه – الوزراء طارق متري وغسان سلامة وعامر بساط – يمارسون السياسة في لبنان منذ أكثر من عقدين. يشغل نبيه بري منصب رئيس مجلس النواب منذ عام ١٩٩٢، وما تبقى من قيادة حزب الله موجود في مناصبه منذ ثمانينيات القرن الماضي. حتى نواب “التغيير” ليسوا بجدد على الساحة السياسية. هذه الدائرة الضيقة من السياسيين اللبنانيين جعلت اللبنانيين معزولين عن النقاش العالمي، والتوجهات الإقليمية، والأهم من ذلك كله، عن الواقع. يعيش صناع القرار اللبنانيون ومستشاروهم الآن في عالم تحل فيه السياسة محل السياسة، وتحل المغالطة محل الفعل.
على غرار المغالطة، لم يجمع كلٌّ من عون وسلام كلمتي حزب الله ونزع السلاح في جملة واحدة. تجنب الرجلان التلفظ بكلمة حزب الله. بدلًا من ذلك، يُبالغان في مدحهما للتمسك بالسيادة اللبنانية واحتكار قرار الحرب والسلم.
لكن حزب الله طعن حتى في تصريحات عون وسلام العامة. قال محمد رعد، رئيس كتلة حزب الله النيابية، إن من يدّعي احتكار “قرار الحرب والسلم” ليس واقعيًا ولا صادقًا.
بين الحين والآخر، كان أحد أعضاء فريق عون أو سلام يُصرّح بما يعتقده أيٌّ منهما. وقد صرّح نائب رئيس الوزراء طارق متري بذلك صراحةً عندما قال إن الحكومة وعدت باحتكار السيادة، لكنه لم يُحدد موعدًا. أي أنه حتى لو نطق سلام بعبارة “نزع سلاح حزب الله”، فإنه لم يُقرّن ذلك بجدول زمني. عندما وجد سلام نفسه محاصرًا في إجابة على سؤال حول نزع سلاح حزب الله، صرّح في مقابلة مع قناة العربية بأن “صفحة سلاح حزب الله قد طُويت”. كان رئيس الوزراء اللبناني يتظاهر بحلّ حزب الله. في اليوم التالي، ردًا على تصريحه، أطلق حزب الله ستة صواريخ على إسرائيل، كاشفًا لسلام من هو المسيطر. ينص اتفاق وقف إطلاق النار على استكمال نزع سلاح حزب الله خلال 60 يومًا من توقيعه في 27 نوفمبر/تشرين الثاني. اليوم، يبدو حل ميليشيا حزب الله أبعد من أي وقت مضى.
في غضون ذلك، صرّح عون، خلف الأبواب المغلقة، بأنه إذا حاول الجيش اللبناني نزع سلاح حزب الله، فستكون هناك حرب أهلية. يبدو أن عون يفضل الحرب مع إسرائيل على حرب لانتزاع السيادة من يد حزب الله.
لا يُبدي عون وسلام أي جدية في نزع سلاح حزب الله. لقد ألقيا خطابات وأصدرا بيانات تُوحي بأنهما يريدان ذلك، لكنهما في الواقع لم يُحركا ساكنًا. ظل حزب الله مُسلّحًا وقائدًا للحرب والسلم. لقد رفعت الحرب بين حزب الله وإسرائيل لبنان إلى قمة أولويات أمريكا. بعد أن تراجع رئيس مجلس النواب نبيه بري ورئيس الوزراء السابق نجيب ميقاتي عن وعد الأمين العام لحزب الله، حسن نصر الله، بعدم فصل حربه عن حرب غزة، اعتبرت واشنطن هذا التغيير في الموقف اللبناني توبةً. منذ ذلك الحين، بذلت واشنطن قصارى جهدها لمنح اللبنانيين فرصة نزع سلاح حزب الله واستعادة سيادة دولتهم. لكن إذا استمر عون وسلام في التلاعب بالسياسة بدلًا من فرضها، فستفقد واشنطن اهتمامها وستترك إسرائيل تواصل ما كانت عازمة عليه: إحراق حزب الله. سيُفوّت لبنان فرصة أخرى للخروج من نفق حزب الله. وكما يُقال، تستطيع واشنطن أن تُجرّ الحصان اللبناني إلى النهر، لكنها لا تستطيع أن تُجبره على الشرب. سيضطر لبنان إلى الشرب بمفرده. عليه أن يواجه شياطينه وينزع سلاح حزب الله. إذا كان عون وسلام يخشيان الحرب مع الميليشيا المدعومة من إيران، فعليهما الاستعداد لاستئناف حرب أشدّ رعبًا مع إسرائيل، وعزلة طويلة الأمد، وفقر، وعيشًا فوق الأنقاض.